Home > Bikes > PD

PD text

History

 

1993 R100GS PD

Weight 477 lb.
Acquired May 1999
Starting miles 38,000
Last known miles 138,000

My bike came to me as Helga from Rob Libbert in NC.  It was wrecked, but after a lot of work it re-emerged as Swamp Thing.  After numerous other adventures, including being sideswiped by a car in August 2001, it underwent a significant rebuild and emerged as the Yellow Menace.  Repairs to this bike over the years have been too numerous to list, but it leads a fairly hard life and nearly everything on it can be considered a wear item, including the crash bars, turn signals, clutch, and handlebars. Most importantly, though, it received a complete new paint job in Ducati Yellow.

Yellow Menace

Modifications:

Wudo Streamliner windshield

Progressive fork springs

Fox rear shock

Touratech Zega panniers

Centerstand bash plate

Rubber hose mounts for rear turn signals

"Ricky bars" Pro-Taper handlebar conversion.

Issues and problems

Driveshaft: although many people have had poor reliability from the driveshaft, I replaced mine proactively at 65,000 miles and found the old one to have very little torsional play. There was some axial play in one part, indicating (to me) improper staking of the bearing caps, but the shaft is still usable. The replacement has been in place for 55,000 miles and is in perfect condition.

I ran the bike with water in the transmission and ruined it. I got a replacement from an earlier Airhead and used it for a while before having it rebuilt to GS specifications (output seal area). Recently I damaged the throwout bearing and took the opportunity to upgrade to the needle bearing design.

The speedometer reads about 10mph fast, but the odometer is within a percent or two of being correct.

Also there are a few shots in the Ocala Story.

Helga

I bought this bike, a 1993 PD model, from Robert Libbert, who had just finished a major overhaul when a friend crashed it. This picture shows the original condition.

The bike had gone off the road, washed out the front end, then went down and tumbled end-over-end. The tail section was destroyed, the 'roo bar was bent inward (breaking the headlight), and the left crash bar was pushed against the finned exhaust nut. Lots of other things were broken in the process, but they are all listed below. Big thanks go to Wendell Duncan who posted the microfiche for the later GS models on his website!


The frame, engine, front end and drivetrain were OK. And with it came a Corbin dual seat, Reynolds backrest, Haynes and Clymer service manuals, Bob's barbacks, Fox shock and spare bushings, Progressive springs, new rear Gripster, BMW clock with aftermarket voltmeter, BMW Multivario tankbag with rain cover, airhead exhaust nut wrench, BMW charger, high-output regulator, dead rotor, old battery, spare valve cover, toolkit, stainless brake hose, K&N filter, and more.

Straightening the 'roo bar involved removing the instruments (what a PITA!) and using a 2x4 through the front to bend it back away from the bike. This allowed the fairing to match up to the tank again, since the fairing is located by the 'roo bar.  However, exactly perfect alignment is hard to get, and the instruments still aren't right.  I will probably end up either replacing it or removing it and straightening it properly (using a good one as a model).

Repairing the tank is not easy.  It is a blow-molded Nylon part. Heat is the best way, so plastic welding will be the repair choice.  I tried using JB Weld, but both of the repairs started leaking again.  I also tried welding it using a Nylon rod, but it didn't work well. I ended up buying a used tank.

The bag system was replaced with a Touratech system, and the crash bars were straightened a bit and later replaced. Most of the rest of the repairs involved bolting unbroken parts on, in place of the broken ones.